Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Family Traditions...

On Saturday, I participated in a Family Bike Ride with my sweet son, Ben.

I found this race in the brochure I've been following to find races for me to do.

He was SUPER excited!! He woke up early that morning ready to go! You can tell by his stance that he was very confident---as he should be. Afterall, we had been practicing for two weeks.

He got his bike checked out, completed the police safety course and we were ready for the start line.

He went right up to the front of the line with the big boys. He was not afraid. The race, or ride, was 2.25 miles. For the first little bit he did really, really well. But, after more and more of the bigger kids passed us, his "legs started hurting" and he would crash into my bike, stop and cry. This happened several times. I believe he wanted to be able to race with the bigger kids and started getting really frustrated when he couldn't and this broke his fiercely competitive heart (which he's inherited from my husband and me).

It was incredible having this experience with him. He grew some new confidence and we bonded on a whole new level. He's simply the best!

I look forward to more races with my sweet son in the future. This was only our first of many more to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hope things are still going well for you!

    ReplyDelete