Saturday, March 13, 2010

Speechless in St. George...

If you haven't noticed... I write a LOT. My degree (and passion) are in journalism--- so I tend to go on and on in the written word. A blabber mouth of the fingers I would say. Enjoy another novel...

Today was the much anticipated Freedom Run 5k! Initially it was Bonnie, Kassie, Annie (trainer) and I doing the race.

However, I was SO THRILLED that Tina, Dawson and my trainer, Colleen (pictured to the left with Dawson and me) made it as well! It seriously was awesome that they were able to come.

I wasn't really nervous for the race until we actually got up to the begin the race. I have done plenty of races in the past... but, it's been a loooooong time since I've done one jogging. My goal was to finish in 40 minutes--- I finished at 42:04 and in 13th place.

It was amazing! I felt great once I started, got into a pace and then I started letting my mind take over. Luckily, Colleen was right there. She stayed with me the whole time-- of her own will-- and was such an amazing support. Not only did she help me mentally stay strong, but we did a 2 minute run, 1 minute walk attack to the race which really helped me to make my time and do it feeling great.

As I approached the finish line, I couldn't believe I was about the complete a race-- running the majority of the time. I did one on Halloween of last year with a horrible knee and barely moving and coming in dead dead last. This was a totally new person today.

I kicked it in high gear to sprint to the finish and I was overwhelmed by emotion. I have never cried finishing a race before. I couldn't hold it back.

It was a mixture of the excitement of finishing, thrill of accomplishment, joy of making a goal and the unbelievable feelings of love and gratitude for a friend's selfless help to stay by my side and give of herself to help me accomplish all of this. Not only me, but my friend, Lestie, too. Lestie started exercising and Weight Watchers at the same time and is changing her life and is kicking trash and taking names. She's lost almost 20 lbs. herself! This was her first race. She just decided Friday to do it with me... came out... and stayed with us the whole time.

Afterwards, my son tells me..."Good job on running today and being healthy, Mom. I'm so proud of you." (He's 3 1/2 years old)

This was not only a race...but, a lesson in that this is what life is all about. We need to be more selfless and supportive of one another. I can't really do what today was like true justice--- I just don't have the words. For once, this journalist today has been speechless in St. George!

At the end of my very first post on here...after sharing my story... I said, "Here's to you, April."

I want to change that.

Here's to ME!!

Here's to accomplishing daily goals that are going to get me healthy! Here's to all the amazing people in my family, friends, strangers and their support!! Here's to my next goal---- TRIATHLON ON APRIL 3!!!

2 comments:

  1. congrats! way to go-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!!! I am totally proud of you! I Have not told anybody this...So mums the word. But I am planning to run my very first race in May!! A 5k in Smithfield! SO thanks for your positive account of how you race went!!! Happy shedding!

    ReplyDelete