Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mind games...

This past week in our Weight Watchers meeting we talked about going out to eat and how not to be fearful of doing that. I remember the first time Coby and I went to a place that wasn't Wendy's and that wasn't in my handy Dining Out book. We went to a Mexican restaurant and I made the waitress come back 3 or 4 times before I was confident and ready to order according to my points.

As part of our lesson this week, Sue (our amazing Weight Watcher's leader) gave us an assignment to go out to eat. Sweet! One day I don't have to cook, but one more battle I just get scared about.

I wanted to branch out somewhere different. I looked up Ruby Tuesday's menu online. I know they have a fabulous salad bar there, but I wanted to see what else they had to offer. They have a whole section of healthy choices and even list the calories, fat and fiber so I could calculate the points exactly.

When we got to the restaurant, I was looking over the menu and started to panic a little bit. The items I had calculated out and planned on where no where on the menu. I grabbed my clutch--- my food journal-- and was desperately searching for the names of the items I saw online. The waitress came back to the table and I asked her about the section of healthy choices I saw online. She left and returned with a whole separate menu with all those choices. I thought how interesting that they have this secret healthy menu available... but, not even offered unless asked for specifically. Thankfully, I found my items.

I had a petite steak which was 6 points, white cheddar potatoes which were 3 points and the salad bar. They have a pretty descent lite ranch dressing as well.

Although I had calculated my points... as I finished my meal, I was kicking myself. How could food this tasty and delicious be within my points? Had I just been tricked by the kitchen staff and menu makers of Ruby Tuesdays?

I started really attacking myself that I had just blown all this hard work.


I text Tina and she helped me realize I was only feeling this way because of the contest. I was living-- and although I stayed within my points-- and food tasted really, really good--- I didn't feel like I deserved this great food.

But, I'm over that now. I did everything right to my best ability. I didn't get depressed and want to call it quits. I woke up this morning, went and kicked trash at Zumba and did a mile on the track.

The most important thing I am learning is to trust the system and just do my very best. I've also seen HUGE progress in the mental aspect, too. Don't get discouraged-- or if you do (cuz it happens)-- don't be discouraged for too long. Don't turn to any bad habits. Just resolve that if you're worried about it-- kick butt and take names the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, you really are so inspiring! You are doing awesome! Thanks for being so open, you really encouage me.

    ReplyDelete